Monday, April 21, 2008

This weekend when I was out to dinner a Lesbian couple was sitting across the way. They were publicly displaying their affection. It was shocking to me all the attention the two of them received from other people dining. I actually heard the people at the table behind me make a comment about how "disgusting" it was. 

This really bothered me to listen to these people talk about the couple with such disrespect. The affection they were showing was not in any way inappropriate and I am sure that the only reason this was noticed and discussed was because they were lesbians. I also thought it was ridiculous that these people were so openly and loudly talking about this. I don't think there is any way that this couple didn't hear them. This made me really angry for them. I can't imagine not being able to enjoy my night out to dinner because others were staring and talking about me and my relationship. This must be a really difficult thing to endure. I wish I had the guts to turn around and say something to the table behind me. In fact I regret not doing so. 

1 comment:

Claire Batt-Vandenburg said...

These thoughts are a start for you though Allison. It's difficult to speak out, I know, but maybe these feeling will encourage you for the next time, as you consider what you might have said. You can also just be the person who is accepting, rather than shocked, and smile at the lesbian couple and then allow them their evening together, showing the obnoxious people nearby that there is no need for their behaviour.